By Legal Lad
- Who would I like to represent me and my estate after I die?
- Who are all the people I want to take under my will?
- Who are the people I do not want to take under my will?
- Are there any organizations or charities I would like to provide for?
- Exactly how much property do I have now?
- How much property am I likely to have when I die?
- Exactly what property do I want to go to each person?
- Who do I want to get the “residue” of my estate? That is, where should all the property that I did not specifically account for go?
- Do I have any retirement accounts that I need to deal with?
- Do I have a life insurance policy I need to account for?
- How would I like my body taken care of? Buried? Cremated?
- Who would I like to make health care decisions for me if I am ever unable to make them for myself?
- Are there personal messages I would like to leave for loved ones along with my will?
Once you have all of these in your head, you might want to consult with an estate lawyer who specializing in making sure your will is solid.